What do I eat? That’s a question I get almost on a daily basis and I’m not surprised.
People are constantly confused on what to eat and how to eat. We are bombarded on a daily basis with new fad diets promising results without work, eat what you want all day and get in shape, eat only soup for a month, do only one workout for five minutes and get in great shape… The lists and claims go on and on.
Bottom line is the fitness industry is full of people trying to get rich quickly, and it’s a billion dollar market place. So every day another fad diet comes out with wild and amazing claims. But most of these are complete hogwash.
Here is what I can promise you I have learn in my over 20 years of working in the fitness field, nothing comes without effort and anyone telling you different is not being truthful. There is no easy way.
When it comes to your food you cannot eat junk and be fit. It just doesn’t work that way. But there is good news. Eating clean is not rocket science and with just a few small rules you can eat clean.
Here are five simple rules to follow when it comes to food.
1. Eat five to six small meals a day. This means all your meals and snacks are about the same size.
2. Make sure you have protein in every meal.
3. No starchy carbohydrates after five pm. So no bread, rice, potatoes, pasta etc. in the evening.
4. All portion sizes of protein, carbs etc should be no larger than the size of the palm your hand.
5. Eat veggies and fruit in every meal.
Follow those five simple rules and you will see big changes in your body!
Devin Sherrington is seven time Best Personal Fitness Trainer Halifax award winner, and owner the award winning fitness studio 360fit in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. www.360online.ca He lives in Fletchers Lake with his children Reign and Journey.